Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Peek Through the Clouds

Author's note: I had a hard time figuring out what to write for this writing response so I began looking through my codes and noticed all the times I coded something about the fog/weather/sky. Hence, this became my writing topic for the day.

Particularly in chapter 4, I noticed the mention of “fog” which got me thinking on what the purpose of this could be. Fog has the ability to cloud judgment; to disguise knowledge and cause mystery. Not only did I see this as a description of the mind but also as a foreshadowing of the plot to come. Specifically, “the fog would be quite broken up” allowed me to understand that soon, a new opportunity or doorway would open but “with its muddy ways” and “swirling wreaths” I could come to the idea that the effect and idea of the unknown would soon fill the thoughts of the characters. Not only did the repetition of fog bring me to these conclusions, but the motif of doorways and windows, did as well. As the “touch of that terror” began to set in this chapter, “the fog lifted a little” and the doorways were cracked open and it was through these beautifully crafted motifs that I found the plot weaved in and throughout the top coat that the average would just glace at and admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment