Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jekyll and Hyde


Author’s Note: Our Honors English class is reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and while reading and analyzing the first few chapters I began to realize how much it seemed the author wanted to get across the face of evil. How evil acts, looks, lies and deceives us and allows us to take a second look to the wickedness we’re born into.

Something that I've noticed Stevenson doing throughout these first three chapters, is incorporate the motif of coldness, seclusion and darkness. It was through these themes that I realized the face of evil and how it is hidden, cold-blooded, and mysterious. At the bottom of page 39, it speaks of a “black winter morning” which I took as a secluded cold time of year, when the grass and plants go dormant and the blackness being the dark shadows that fill the course of the day never seeming to catch a glimpse of sunlight.  There’s no warmth spoken here because evil itself has no affection, tenderness to its core and a black winter describing the morning is a harsh reality to our dreams. Again on page 41, the cold-hearted spirit of malevolence and sin a “black, sneering coolness…like Satan” caught my eye. It just so clearly depicts the way that Satan’s lies sneer at us like hungry lions in the shadows and their cold souls won’t rest until they’ve bitten into ours capturing our spirits and turning our hearts.  These are only but a few of the occurrences that these motif(s) were mentioned but it is such a heavy background to lay behind this story that they way they are peppered throughout, heeds great effect on the reader, and to me.

5 comments:

  1. Overall this is a great relation of your point of view of the novel, I also happen to agree. The coldness recurring has a deeper hidden meaning in the story which I believe will be found later throughout our reading. Great job with your analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really explained your point well, especially considering the small amount of space you used. Also, I like the idea of cold you discussed. I had noticed the darkness, but the temperature had slipped by me as well as those who I text coded with. Now that you've brought it up, it seems really important, so thanks! I'm not quite sure how I feel about your analogy about Satan's lies - lions seem a bit out of place, but then they really drive your point home - but other than that, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really explained your reasoning and it made really good sense. i didn't notice that part until i read your blog, good job. the font kind of hurt my eyes a little though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had some great points to make, and you used some great words to get your point across to the reader. One thing that could be improved would be your introduction, it could have been a more intriguing sentence, but as I read on, the words used, and the ideas you expressed lured me into your post

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really well written. Your analysis was great and you got your point across very nicely. I would have to agree with annika. Your introduction didn't "catch my attention" so to speak. But other than that fantastic!

    ReplyDelete